Tuesday, June 29, 2010

More adventures in Green boxing

Nothing's tastier than fresh food that's been harvested that morning. Last weekend we discovered beet greens. We sauteed them with olive oil, garlic scabes, pine nuts, onions and a little bit of parmesan cheese. Garlic scabes are the shoots that grow from garlic bulbs and are used just like garlic. Absolutely delicious, Jeff and I both decided we liked beet greens more than spinach, which is saying a lot cause we're big spinach lovers around here.

Fresh peas were also in the box and Jeff added them to a lemony pasta with smokey bacon. There's something to be said for sitting on your front porch shelling peas.

There's been amazing strawberries which taste so sweet and juicy. Stella loves them and ends up with pink juice from ear to ear and finger tips to elbows.



And of course there's been even more rhubarb. Last week I made rhubarb almond cake for Jeff's mom because rhubarb is her favourite. But that hasn't been the end of it! Tasting the rhubarb cake reminded me of my favourite cookie in the whole wide world; the double chocolate cranberry cookie from Cherry Bomb, the sweet chocolate is so perfect with the tartness of cranberries. So I decided to make rhubarb brownies, which were in my opinion, a total success. And they're made with fat free yogurt. I doubled the recipe, but it could definitely be done with half quantities. I wonder what it would be like with cherries instead of rhubarb? I ran out of vanilla yogurt and had to use a bit of raspberry yogurt. I bet mixing up the flavours would be delicious!

2 cups of chopped rhubarb
2 cups melted chocolate (I used a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips)
2 cups non-fat yogurt
1 cup sugar
1.5 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup cocoa
1 cup water

I melted the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water then added the yogurt and sugar. Then I sifted in the flour, baking soda and cocoa and stirred until blended. Mix in water and rhubarb. Pour into lined baking dishes and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment